Day 32: Usharp Mask

Today I thought I'd try out the Unsharp Mask tool. I have a hard time getting really sharp photos, partially because I don't have the prime lens (though I'll be getting it as a graduation gift to myself in a couple months), partially because I'm shooting a moving target, and partially because I prefer not to use a flash and to just use whatever natural light is available (which isn't always a lot). The USM is supposed to sharpen picture that would otherwise be kinda soft, so here are my results using the settings from this tutorial.

Without USM:


Portrait Settings:


Web-viewing Settings:



Hmmm. . .in my computer, the ones that have had the mask run on them look a LOT clearer and higher quality. However, on my blog, the ones with the mask are less blurry, but noisier. A little help here, people? Also, I'm aware that these are all inconsistently edited. I need to work on that.

2 Comments:

Salina

The USM magnifies all the details. So if you have any noise in your photo, it will be magnified. Adjust some of the sliders on USM (particularly threshold) to avoid this. If it's only happening on your blog photos, it could have to do with resizing them when you upload the photos to your blog).

Domestic Photographic

Thanks for the tip! I'll mess around with threshold and see if that helps.

Return top